- Lock your car AND take your stuff inside, especially if it's valuable.
- Management is also not responsible for missing children. If your children must explore the hotel without parental supervision, make sure that they use the buddy system. It would be so easy for someone to snag your child, hop in their car, and be off to who-knows-where before you knew s/he was missing.
- Not only do you have a hotel key, but there are probably some undesirables that have one as well. See rule number 2. Do you really want your kids running around alone? Another safety precaution that we have is a password. Should we need to leave the kids in the room alone, they must not open the door unless the password is provided.
I know that, as a parent, you want to trust your children to go to the lobby / pool / front desk / whatever by themselves, but it's just not a good idea. Even if it gives you five minutes of peace. Most hotels are located right off highways....by the time you realize your child is missing, s/he could be twenty miles down the road!
Another issue that we have discussed is how to handle an emergency when staying in a hotel. Most children know to dial 911 at home, but that may not work at a hotel, where you usually have to dial another number to get an outside line. Your best bet is to tell children to call the hotel operator in case of an emergency.
- Some people can sleep anywhere, but travelling often throws kids off-schedule. Here are some tips for Sleeping Well on the Go.
- Driving all day can be the pits! Take three minutes to stretch at each pit-stop. It will help!
- Healthy eating on the road can be very tricky! It's so easy to fall into the trap of fast food and convenience foods, especially on long travel days, when your only stops are at the gas station or to pick up a quick bite. Greens and fresh options are your best choice, whenever possible....and most gas stations sell fresh fruit now.
- When you're out on the road, getting sick just isn't an option. Who wants to spend their vacation trapped in a hotel room, or worse - in the hospital? See this post for tips to stay well.
- Taking a few days off can be rejuvenation for your body, but it's important to remember to get some exercise. Even walking for thirty minutes will do your body, mind, and mood a world of good. Here are tips for Hotel P.E.
- Ran out of your favorite spa products? Or forgot to pack them? Try these quick cheats from hotel freebies...