With high fuel costs, general unrest in the world, and little to no vacation time from work, many families are choosing to take staycations. With a bit of imagination, you can have an enjoyable time close to home.....you just have to approach your town like a tourist.
Do some research - ask yourself "If I were just stumbling upon this area, what would I want to do?" You can find something fun to do everywhere....even in the middle of nowhere. Trust me. 😉
We've broken down all of our trips by region (United States), to help take some of the research out of your equation. Try to plan at least one staycation this summer - once you've gotten your feet wet, you'll want more!
- Pack the car with five days worth of clothes (well, at least five days worth of underwear)
- Toss in some snacks, road tunes, and an audiobook
- Find an initial destination from the list below....start driving in that direction
- If you see something that looks like fun, take a detour!
- Find a hotel - spend the night - start over again on day 2
- Take detours and explore on day 2
- Find a hotel - spend the night - start heading home on day 3
- You might make it home on day 3, or it might be on day 4
- Just DRIVE - EXPLORE - HAVE FUN!
Admittedly, if you're Type-A, this might be difficult for you, but at least try. Pack some extra undies and a first aid kit, if it makes you feel better!