We brought you our Holiday Gift Guide, as well as some last-minute gift ideas for your favorite family on-the-go!
Check out what made last year's best gifts for road-schooling families!
- Adventurous Mailbox – (See more details here) Created for children aged middle school and above, I cannot say enough good things about this program!!! Short of globe-trekking, we can now experience the people, geography, languages, and culture of eight countries with this creative curriculum, which is unlike any other educational product we have tried, and there have been quite a few! Use code GYPSYROAD for 20% off any purchase through December 2016.
- Little Passports (see more details here) : Little Passports lets you travel the world, collecting all kinds of fun little artifacts that encourage kids to learn more about the places they’ve visited. Sam and Sophia do the “traveling,” and each month they send a goody bag, geared towards kids ages 5-10, full of souvenirs and facts about each place they visit. Save up to $35 by using this link.
- Science Expeditions – Created for children aged 9 and up, this subscription box focuses on STEAM (that’s STEM, with Art) learning. Every month, your child will receive a kit full of science experiments related to themes like rockets, forensic science, vision, caves and crystals, northern lights and magnetism, hydrology, and so much more! Save up to $35 by using this link.
- Big Bag o’ Science It’s an ENORMOUS science kit containing loads of Spangler favorites for a great value. The 30-page instruction manual will guide you and your young scientist through each experiment with easy to follow directions and simple science explanations. Save 20% on this kit by using this link.
- Audiobooks - Like “Beric the Briton,” these are perfect for keeping the family happy on long travel days, and are educational as well. You'll find most of the classics, currently popular books, and everything in between on audiobook....and what a way to bring history to life! Only the size of a cd case, these provide hours, even days, of entertainment.
- CD carrying case - A handy dandy place to keep all of your audiobooks in one spot!
- DVD sets - Like "The Magic School Bus Collection," or "Where is Carmen Sandiego?," also provide hours of educational entertainment on those long travel days.
- Portable DVD player - Be sure to get a headphone splitter so that your kids can share the fun!
- Travel bingo – We are NOT all about the technology! Keep it old school with a rousing round of bingo for the drive. It keeps kids occupied by interacting with the scenery. Spot various items such as a barn, truck, stop sign, etc. The first to get 5 in a row wins!
- Road Trip - Can you rattle off three towns that start with the letter "P". What about three fast foods that contain the letter "B"…or, finish the "Tale of the Trip" by filling in the blanks with words beginning with "A?" "When we stopped in Albuquerque, I bought an Armadillo to give to Aunt Alice.” Complete each word challenge, and motor across the sea. "Rest Stop" cards add to the fun along the way, with lucky breaks and the occasional pothole. You'll find yourself asking "R" we there yet, and saying wish "U" were here.
Just for Mom
- A Night in With…series For the bibliophile, this series of three books follows the life and loves of Libby Lomax as she blossoms from Z-lister to A-lister, and all of the stages in between, with a little bit of help from some very special friends. It’s most definitely chick lit, but funny and fast-paced. And now that all three books have been released, you can follow Libby through her adventures without waiting a year for the next one! So grab those bubbles, a cuppa tea, and the first book, and head straight for a long, hot bubble bath!
- Urth Box : For the foodie mom, this monthly subscription box focuses on Non-GMO, organic, and all-natural products. Subscribers choose from four different box sizes AND four different versions of each box (so, sixteen options) : The Classic, The Diet, The Gluten-Free, and The Vegan. Our review is for a mini, classic box. Save $10 off a box by using this link.
- Compression Gear – For the athletic mom, you can’t go wrong with a good set of compression socks or athletic wear. Having the right equipment makes a huge difference in performance, and quality compression gear is a luxury that most of us won’t spring for ourselves…
- Beeswax Candle - For the crunchy mom, this 70-hour, pure beeswax candle is a cute, yet practical, gift. It comes with a metal stand, and self-extinguises, making it both functional and super-cute!
Just for Dad
- Gear Box - For the outdoor dad, this subscription contains carefully selected, high quality camping gear and preparedness items. Plus, each box has helpful tips, instructions, and challenges to grow your survival skills. Use coupon code “CRATE10” to save 10% off your first box!
- Compression Gear - For the athletic dad, you can’t go wrong with a good set of compression socks or athletic wear. Having the right equipment makes a huge difference in performance, and quality compression gear is a luxury that most of us won’t spring for ourselves…
- Historic Rail & Historic Aviation - For the aviator or rail enthusiast, these are the best places for modelers, aviation fans, and rail fans to shop! They have thousands of models, kits, books, DVDs, prints and posters, hats and t-shirts, and much more. Our son loves shopping at Historic Aviation for all things ‘vintage airplane,’ and they have great products, prices, and customer service!
- Yellow Submarine - For the child within and / or music lover, we simply adore this new Beatles Yellow Submarine Lego set!! “How much?” you ask. Well, we know a closet that may have a set or two tucked away inside. It’s affordable. It’s cute. It’s collectible. It’s nostalgic. And you can play with it, too!
- 365 Devotions for Rest - Each day offers up a new, short (and thereby completely doable) opportunity for rest and reflection. The devotionals are calming and help the reader to reconnect with the inner spirit. If you, or someone you love, is caught up in the rat race madness that we call life today, this is a great, and economical, gift of love.
- Echinacea / Goldenseal - Take a dropper-full at the onset of illness, and it will go away quickly. Continue taking every couple of hours until you’re all better. It’s small and fits into your pocket, and this little bottle is worth its weight in gold.
- Pack & Play – It’s an oldie, but a goodie! When your little one needs a place to nap or play, there's no more convenient. Its durable frame makes it perfectly suited for travel, and the push-button fold allows you to break it down to a very teeny size in just seconds. Perfect for the travelling family, or as an extra for Grandma’s house!
- Free Weight 52 Stack - One deck of playing cards will give your body more of a workout than it ever imagined! These cards are designed to target every muscle in your body. Shuffle the deck and see how much you can complete. Coupled with a jump rope, you'll have a cardio and strength training workout wherever you roam! The only equipment you’ll need is those free weights.