On a unusually empty Saturday, as we bumbled around town looking for something to do...a garage sale to crash....something to pass the time....we came across this storage box and began a new project. If we'd been thinking clearly, we'd have taken some decent 'before' photos...but alas.
The box was made of real wood and had great bones, but someone had painted it this terrible chartreuse color...that's not a color anyone needs in their kitchen. Or pantry. It also had hinges that were rusted in place and needed a thorough scrubbing. Completely do-able in a weekend.
The boys helped to break it apart into all of it's little pieces, and give it a nice coat of off-white paint. We cleaned it well beforehand. While the paint was drying, we soaked the hinges in WD-40 to loosen them.A bit of bright red paint for the covers brought life to our piece and gave it a vintage feel. We also stapled wire mesh to them, instead of the thick plastic, to open them up and let the food inside breathe. For the top of the box, we pulled out our old Tupperware stencils and livened it up with the boys' vision of a pastoral scene.
And voila! A root box to hold potatoes, carrots, beets, apples, and the rest of your fall harvest.