We canned so. many. pickles. this year......if I never see another cucumber, it may be too soon. See - our gardens got some strange memo that only the cucumber seeds were allowed to germinate this year. No okra, tomatoes, strawberries....not even one zucchini...such a strange year.
After multiple rounds of pickle canning, and a slight greenish tinge at the mere mention of pickles, I went off in search of new things to do with cucumbers. Here are three of the best ones...
- 10 lbs cucumbers
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Garlic powder, onion powder, chili pepper, salt, pepper --- choose your seasoning!
- Wash, peel and slice cucumbers to an equal thickness. Slice as many chips as your dehydrator will hold.
- Put the chips into a solution of apple cider vinegar and then spin them dry in a salad spinner.
- Place the spun chips onto the dehydrator and sprinkle with sea salt and dried dill. (Add smoked paprika, chili peppers, garlic salt, etc. if you’d like to add a bit more pizzazz). Dehydrate 6-10 hours, depending on thickness.
- When chips are dried, peel the chips off the dehydrator. Eat some and place the rest in mason jars for further eating!
Frozen Cucumbers for Beauty
- To freeze cucumbers, just wash, slice, put on a lined baking sheet, and put in the freezer. Flash freeze, and then store them in a freezer bag.
- To make infused water, put cucumber slices in a pitcher of water. You can also add things like mint or berries. Let it sit in the refrigerator for several hours before drinking.
- To soothe tired eyes, take two slices and place over your eyes. The temperature coupled with the enzymes as they thaw will do wonders!
- 7 c. thinly sliced cucumbers
- 3 med. onions, sliced
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 c. sugar
- 1 c. vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. celery seed
- 1 tbsp. salt
- Mix all ingredients in large bowl. Refrigerate for 24 hours. Put in containers and freeze.
- This is a great side dish in the middle of winter. Just defrost to serve.
Do you have anything to add to this list? How else should we finish out this year's crop?