Love to freezer cook? Check out our new book : Freezer Cooking Through the Year!!
Ice Cream Sandwiches
Makes 8 ice cream sandwiches
- 6 Tbsp (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 quart ice cream of your choice
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. (For easier cookie removal, line baking sheets with parchment paper.)
- In a large bowl, combine the butter, sugar, cocoa, eggs, flour, vanilla, and baking powder. Stir until well blended.
- Drop rounded spoons of the batter onto the lined cookie sheets, leaving at least 2 inches between them. You should have an even number of cookies…unless you want one to sample.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until set. Remove to racks to cool.
- Remove the ice cream from the freezer to soften slightly at room temperature.
- To prepare sandwiches :
- Place one cookie, flat side up, on a small sheet of plastic wrap. Place a scoop of ice cream on the cookie. Place a second cookie, flat side down, on top of the ice cream. Press the cookies together until the ice cream flattens and spreads to the edges of the cookies. Individually wrap each sandwich tightly in plastic wrap and place them all in the freezer bag to store in the freezer.
Summer is the best time for savoring foods, but if you have more berries than you can eat quickly, consider making some freezer jam. It's super easy, very yummy, and makes a fantastic gift! We typically triple or quadruple this recipe, if we are able to get bulk produce during peak season.
Ingredients for Blackberry Jam:
- Ball Canning Guide (optional)
- 4 c. sugar
- 3/4 c. water
- 1 package dry pectin
- 2 c. crushed blackberries