FAN FIELD TRIP FRIDAY!
(scroll to bottom for unit study)
Today, we're heading north to Bismarck, North Dakota with the Smith Family!
- Homeschool Legacy : Lewis & Clark (deep discount in Upper Bundle until Sunday)
- P is for Peace Garden (North Dakota ABCs)
- We Were There with Lewis and Clark
- Buffalo Before Breakfast
- Lewis and Clark: Explorers of the American West
- Lewis and Clark for Kids: Their Journey of Discovery with 21 Activities
- Lewis & Clark Unit Study
After not enough time in South Dakota, our family chose Bismarck as our sightseeing destination in North Dakota. One of our family's long term goals on a year-long road trip was to visit as many state capitals as we could. When it was time to decide where we wanted to go in North Dakota, we realized that we hadn't toured a capitol since New Mexico. We didn't stay in Bismarck long, but we did stay long enough to :
- tour the North Dakota State Capitol
- explore the North Dakota Heritage Center
- enjoy the Steamboat / Keelboat Park along the Missouri River
...which offers great views from the 18th floor. Our tour guide said that on a clear day you could see the Pacific Ocean and look into Canada from the 18th floor of the North Dakota Capitol.
On our way to the North Dakota Heritage Center, we met up with Sacagawea and saw a buffalo.
At the North Dakota Heritage Center, we explored the exhibits and galleries and learned about the history of North Dakota. We especially enjoyed the exhibits on dinosaurs.
After spending a couple of hours indoors, we took a short walk and found the Steamboat / Keelboat Park where we enjoyed the walking trail along the Missouri River. We also enjoyed the wayside exhibits which taught us about this area at the time of the Lewis and Clark Expedition.
This full-size replica of a keelboat is similar to what Lewis and Clark would have used.
Robin is a wife, homeschool mom, and blogger. She has been homeschooling for 14 years and has