In the kitchen, and out in the garden, we learned about :
- peeling, slicing, chopping vegetables and fruits / mincing herbs
- cook pots boiling over an open hearth
- preserving food (sauerkraut, dried apples)
- making baskets & candles
- sewing cloth
- planting seed, harvesting & seed saving
- composting, mulching, & preparing seed beds
- using cold frames, hot beds, bell jars
- pruning fruit trees
In the barn, and out on the field, we learned about :
- tool repair & sharpening
- gathering fire wood
- building fire & baking bread in the bake oven
- making soap over an open fire
- How oats/wheat are threshed
- Harvesting herbs for home use
- Write with a quill pen
- Try 18th century chocolate
- Learn how dyes were made out of natural ingredients
The boys got to try their hand at making shoes and an ax in the Single Brothers House.
They learned how to tell time and how to use single, double, and triple pulleys.They learned how to measure ingredients with a scale, for baking.
They also learned how to make candles, how to make ink, and how to make lye soap!
Occasionally, we get great ideas from the places that we visit. It's wonderful to see and touch things that we've studied...and this underground root cellar / cold storage room was no exception. We were inspired, and hope to do more research on this!