After several hours of sleep, your body needs fuel to get going, and not providing it can have detrimental effects. Eating breakfast helps with weight loss and increases your concentration and awareness throughout the morning.
Ten reasons you should eat breakfast every day! It will give you...
- Better Concentration
- Eat Healthier All Day
- Improved Metabolic Function
- Weight Control
- More Energy
- Lower Cholesterol
- Boost Your Immune System
- Maintaining Blood Sugar Levels
- Digestive Health
- Mood Enhancer
Take it to the Next Level
Many of us are on the go, and just don't take the time for a healthy breakfast. Try one of these four freezer cooking ideas for a quick & healthy morning!
Egg and Black Bean Breakfast Burritos
- 2 tbsp butter
- 18 eggs, thoroughly beaten
- 2 tbsp cooking oil of choice
- 1 medium yellow onion, medium chop
- 1 large green bell pepper, stem and seeds removed, medium chop
- 1 large red bell pepper, stem and seeds removed, medium chop
- 2 1/2 c cooked black beans
- 1 tbsp ground cumin, divided use
- 3 c grated cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 c loosely packed cilantro leaves (optional)
- salt and pepper
- 15 tortillas, burrito-sized (at least 7 inches in diameter)
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Pour in the eggs and stir with a wooden spoon or spatula frequently until the eggs are softly cooked. Season generously with salt and pepper and pour onto a large plate or platter to cool to room temperature.
- Rinse or wash the skillet, coat the bottom with the oil, and return to medium heat. Add the onions and peppers and 1/2 tbsp cumin. Saute until the onions are translucent, season with salt and pepper, and pour onto a large plate or platter to cool to room temperature.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the black beans, remaining 1/2 tbsp cumin, and two big pinches of salt.
- Fill each burrito a layer of beans, vegetables, eggs, cheese, and cilantro. Try to fill the burrito about 1/3 the way full and to evenly distribute between all the tortillas – It doesn’t have to be perfect; just eyeball it. Wrap the burrito (I tried to do mine as they do at Moe’s) and place on a large baking sheet.
- Move the burritos to the freezer for at least an hour, then transfer to a freezer bag until ready to eat. Microwave until heat through (ours took only a minute).
French Toast Sticks
- 4 slices Texas Toast (or other hearty, thick-cut bread)
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 Tablespoon melted butter, slightly cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees then spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray very well and set aside. Cut bread slices into thirds then set aside.
- In a large shallow dish, whisk together eggs, milk, melted butter, vanilla, and cinnamon. Dunk bread sticks into batter, let excess drip off, then place onto prepared baking sheet. Bake for 16-18 minutes, spraying the tops of the French Toast Sticks with non-stick spray before flipping halfway through.
- To freeze: Let French Toast Sticks cool then place onto a baking sheet and freeze in the freezer. Transfer to a freezer bag or container when hard. To reheat, microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
Banana Oat Mini Muffins
- Mix all ingredients up, scoop into mini muffin tin.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until muffins are set.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 large sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, finely copped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 6 large eggs whisked
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- salt to taste (optional)
- 1/2 pound sausage, ground pork, beef or turkey (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Saute onions in olive oil for 2-3 minutes, then add peppers and saute for another 2-3 minutes. I had some ground pork so I added 1/2 pound of it at the same time as the peppers and cooked it until the meat was no longer pink.
- Whisk eggs in a large bowl while the peppers are cooking. When the veggies are done cooking, remove them from the heat and let them cool for a couple of minutes. Then mix them into the eggs and add your salt and pepper.
- Coat a muffin pan with olive oil spray and fill each cup with 1/4 cup of the egg mixture. Cook them in the oven for 15-20 minutes depending on the size of your muffin tin, and remove when the tops get fluffy and golden brown.