As part of a classical curriculum, we began teaching our children Latin from an early age. Latin is the foundation of many world languages, including our own English. For us, it seemed a natural progression from phonics to Latin, and the results are already beginning to show themselves in our children's vocabulary and word discovery...
Reasons to Teach Latin
- English Vocabulary About 60% of English words derive from Latin, and more than 90% of multi-syllabic English words have a Latin root! All of that "scientific mumbo jumbo" is either Latin or Greek. Learn it and empower yourself and your children!
- Foreign Language If you want to learn or teach Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese or any of the Romance languages, a Latin background will be immensely helpful. The vocabulary and grammatical structures all derive from Latin.
- Test Scores Not my favorite topic, but a background in Latin has been proven to increase verbal, analytic, and problem solving scores.
- There are many more reasons, but these three alone are enough for us!! What's your reason for choosing Latin (or another language)?
To help the children have a more visual understanding of their Latin vocabulary, we created these flash card sets for daily use words. Each set can be used as flash cards, or as a memory game (match the word to the picture). We also use a daily calendar, to practice days / months / seasons / weather words. You'd be surprised at how much more they will retain from this hands-on use!!!
Check out our new Latin bundle, which includes a daily calendar and vocabulary flash cards for nine different sets of daily use words!
- Months / Days
- Weather / Seasons
- Body Parts / Senses
This year the Virtual Curriculum Fair is hosted by Laura @ Day by Day in Our World, Chareen @ Every Bed of Roses and Kristen @ Sunrise to Sunset.
- Language Arts: Words Make the World Go Round by Laura @ Day by Day in Our World
- The Language Arts in Our Homeschool and Everything Relating to it by Joelle @ Homeschooling for His Glory
- Teaching Elementary Latin by Yvie @ Gypsy Road
- How to Learn ASL & Spanish in 20 Minutes a Day by Rochelle @ RochelleBarlow
- Classical Word Study by Lisa @ GoldenGrasses
- Language Arts Means and Methods by Laura @ Four Little Penguins
- Sprechen Sie.... by Jennifer King @ A Peace of Mind
- The Art of Eloquence by Jennifer King @ A Peace of Mind
- Love Languages by Jennifer King @ A Peace of Mind 3 Reasons
- You Don't Have To Be Afraid To Grade That Essay - And It's Free @ LJSkool
- High School Language Arts by Kym @ Homeschool Coffee Break
- Words, Words, and More Words by Chareen @ Every Bed of Roses
- Finishing Strong - Starting Gently by Kristen @ Sunrise to Sunset