This Month's Featured Resources...

Revolutionary WarScrap Crafting Lego History Latin Calendar

Sunday, August 30

Homemade Cereal : Cheaper & Healthier...Still as Quick!


If you're like me, breakfast is soooo not your time of day.  Until I've been up an hour or so, I'm not fully functional.  Therefore, it's every man for himself at breakfast.  I want my kids to be able to make their own breakfast, but I want them eating healthy, too.  Cereal is always a great option for this...

Did you know, though, that cereal is actually pretty unhealthy?
  • Lots of sugar
  • Artificial colors
  • GMOs
  • Pesticides
  • Preservatives
These are all things I do not want going in my kids' bodies!!!  So I learned how to make my own cereal, and they eat it just as well as the boxed stuff.  (As for the cheapo prizes...I never bought the name-brand stuff anyway.)

One thing I wanted to do with my homemade cereal was get some protein and good fats in there.  One of them refuses to drink milk and only eats his cereal dry...they're a finicky bunch.  But I found a few easy tricks to make the morning bowl of cereal a healthy blend of carbs and protein.  And it's really easy!! 

 One of the 'tricks' I learned was Manitoba Hemp Hearts.  If you haven't heard of these, you're probably in good company.  They have a nutty taste (but are nut-free) and people are using them on salads, yogurt, and baked goods.  We are using them in the cereal recipe below.  They're vegan, kosher, and non-GMO, and have 10 grams of protein in a serving!! 

The same company makes Hemp Bites, which are great for the car.  Don't be confused....hemp does not equal pot.

Supplies :
This is a low-key recipe.  Mix up the amounts as you desire.



Directions :

**I first make up a mixture of hemp hearts, chia, and flax seeds - a bag will keep for nearly a year in the freezer.  I typically only use one to two cups of this mixture for a gallon of cereal.**

  • In a very large bowl, combine all ingredients and thoroughly mix.
  • Store in a freezer bag (double bag it) for up to six months.  
  • For easier morning use, fill a quart jar with cereal from the freezer, and leave it out for daily use.  Re-fill as needed.