It's time to get ready for a the school schedule, and all the busy-ness that comes along with it! If you're like me, you want the kids to have a good breakfast and after-school snack (or in-the-car-on-the-way-to-extracurriculars dinner)...but who has the time??? With these easy freezer meals, you can make the transition a little easier. And it will be a lot will be healthier than a Pop-Tart breakfast!
· 8 eggs
· a splash of milk
· pepper, to taste
· 6 whole wheat English muffins
· 12 slices ham
· 6 slices cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350˚ F.
2. Crack and scramble eggs with a splash of milk and pepper to taste. Pour and bake in a greased 9x9 pan for about 20 minutes (until just set).
3. Toast whole wheat English muffins in the same 350˚ oven as the eggs are cooking in for 5-10 minutes (until light brown).
4. Fill each muffin with two slices of folded ham, a square of the egg casserole, and a piece of cheddar cheese. Pop on the top.
5. Either eat right away or freeze. If you eat right away, put back in the 350˚ oven for about 5 minutes.
6. To Freeze : Put sandwiches together. Wrap each individual sandwich in foil and place in a freezer bag. Here are your options for reheating:
7. To Reheat :
a. Option #1: Thaw in fridge overnight. Reheat in 350˚ oven for 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
b. Option #2: Wrap frozen sandwich in moist paper towel. Microwave in 30 second increments (if you do much longer increments, you’ll turn the egg into rubber), turning sandwich several times, until warmed through. You may have to cut it in half to warm the middle through. This takes up to 2 minutes.
Pizza Pockets (20 pockets)
· 4 tbsp active dry yeast
· 4tsp salt
· 4 c warm water
· 8 tbsp oil
· 4 tsp sugar
· 10 c flour
· 3 c pizza sauce (tomato sauce & spices)
· 6 c cheese, shredded
· 3 c diced turkey pepperoni (optional)
1. Mix yeast & warm water.
2. Add sugar, salt, oil and flour.
3. Mix well and dump onto floured surface. Knead.
4. Divide dough into pieces.
5. Roll into balls and flatten.
6. Add sauce, cheese & topping. Fold over and seal.
7. Bake 10-15 minutes at 300.
8. To Freeze : Let cool, place in freezer bags, and freeze.
9. To Reheat : Pull out one pocket and microwave 60-90 seconds.