Kale is one of those foods that I don't usually trade out (the asparagus needs to find a new home first!), but we get it a lot. You might remember us baking up some yummy Kale Chips...and we sometimes eat it raw. This week, we discovered a great recipe that everyone loved! Even the kids. 'Nuff said. You should go and try it...afterwards, pick up your own copy of Lighten Up, Y'all, by Virginia Willis, and enjoy even more great recipes with this summer's bounty!
*recipe inspired by Lighten Up, Y'all, but altered for our family's taste*
Sweet & Salty Greens
- 8 c. kale, rib removed
- 2 apples, cored and diced
- 2 slices bacon, cut into pieces
- 1/2 pkg mushrooms, sliced
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 c. asiago cheese, crumbled
- In a skillet, cook the bacon about five minutes.
- Pour off almost all of the bacon grease.
- Turn to medium heat, and add remaining vegetables & fruit.
- Saute 8-10 minutes, stirring.
- Stir in salt and pepper, to taste.
- Remove from heat. Break asiago crumbles on top just before serving.