Pear & Blueberry ButterWe were blessed with 40 lbs of pears (FORTY POUNDS!) through our food co-op. For reference, they filled up an entire sack - the kind you would use for a sack race. After making pear chips, and eating pears, and trading pears, we were still left with about ten pounds that were quickly going soft. We had to use them up, and quickly!
- 7 cups blueberries (we changed up the ratio and only use 1 1/2 cups, hence our's is less blue)
- 3 pears, peeled, cored, and diced
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 3 1/2 cups sugar
- Put pears, blueberries, adn water into a saucepan and bring to boil. REduce heat and simmer for an hour.
- Remove from heat and strain the pulp. Add 2 1/2 cups sugar for every 2 cups of strained puree.
- Set mixture on low heat and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Bring to boil for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Remove from heat, spoon into sterilized jars, let cool, then put lids on and label. Store in refrigerator. Use within a month.
Find this recipe, and many more good ones, in Pickles & Preserves.