I'm a big cereal & milk eater....eight years in a dorm room will do that to you. It's portable, easy to store, and quick and easy to make. But boxed cereals are loaded with sugar and chemicals, and most milk today is laden with hormones, and possibly antibiotics. These are not things that I wanted to continue knowingly putting into my body - so I decided to change my cereal and milk. I won't lie - it did take some getting used to, but the changes were so substantial that it's completely worth it!!
- Nuts (I use almonds and pecans)
- Rolled oats
- Dried fruit
- Chia seeds
- Milled flax seed
- Food chopper
- 2-gallon storage bag
**The beauty of this recipe is that you can use as much or as little of each as you'd like. Don't like nuts? Don't use them. Want more fruit? Use more.**
**I first make up a mixture of chia and flax seeds - a bag will keep for nearly a year in the freezer. I typically only use one to two cups of this mixture for a gallon of cereal.**
- Chop the nuts (as fine as you'd like) in the food chopper.
- In a very large bowl, combine all ingredients and thoroughly mix.
- Store in a freezer bag (double bag it) for up to six months.
- For easier morning use, fill a quart jar with cereal from the freezer, and leave it out for daily use. Re-fill as needed.