Do you ever get stuck in a rut? Same dinner schedule week after week? We had the great fortune of being handed a new vegetable, called jicama, in our food co-op basket this week. And then, we were mailed a package of organic soup to sample. It was like fate was telling us to try something new!
Jicama Fries (Go here for more food facts on jicama.)
- 1 jicama, peeled and cut into 1/4" thick fries
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Put the jicama strips in a microwave-safe bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of water. Cover and microwave for 15 minutes, stopping once to stir.
- In a large bowl, toss the jicama fries with the juice and the spices. Arrange on foil-lined pan, and bake 45 minutes, until browned. Serve immediately.
The jicama fries went really well with our chicken tortilla soup!