Traditional Irish Meal
Crockpot Corned Beef Brisket
- 1 onion
- carrots (chopped)
- potatoes (diced)
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- garlic clove
- bay leaf
- cabbage (chopped)
- Place cut vegetables on bottom of crock pot.
- Place corned beef brisket on the top.
- In mixing bowl combine broth and Worcestershire sauce. Pour over top of brisket.
- Add garlic clove and bay leaf. Cook on low 6-8 hours.
- Add cabbage to top of pot half way through cooking time.
Irish Soda Bread
- 2 cups white flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk
- ¾ cup raisins
- In mixing bowl combine flours, baking soda, salt and sugar.
- In separate bowl combine eggs and buttermilk.
- Pour into dry ingredients and blend slightly, you just want the dough moistened so don't beat to long. Stir in raisins.
- On a floured surface knead dough several minutes.
- Place in a round cake pan. With a knife slice an X on the top of the loaf.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes until golden.
Crockpot Irish Stew
- 2-4 lbs. cubed chicken or beef
- 2 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 2 qt broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- carrots (chopped)
- potatoes (chopped)
- onions (sliced)
- Add ingredients to crock pot or large soup pan making sure liquid covers all meat and vegetables.
- Cook on low 6-8 hours or high 4-6 hours.
St. Patrick's Day Crafts
Fruit Loops Rainbow
This simple idea for preschoolers and toddlers comes from One Artsy Mama. Let the kids sort the different colors and glue them to a piece of paper to create their own rainbow. Using cotton balls, build 'clouds' to hold it up!
- Paint a paper plate peach and let it dry.
- Cut out strips of orange paper and glue them all the way around the plate, as the hair and beard.
- Cut out two orange eyebrows and glue them on. Paint or draw the face.
- Cut out a little hat from green construction paper. Add a black hat band and golden buckle, then glue onto the head at an angle.
- Leave it to try, punch a hold at the top, and hang up for St. Paddy's Day!
Visit Enchanted Homeschooling Mom for more Irish & St. Patrick's Day activities!
St. Patrick's Day SCHOOL learning unit :
- Saint Patrick's Day Learning with Legos Unit Study
- Leprechaun in Late Winter
- Leprechaun, What do you See (free)
- Patrick, Patron Saint of Ireland and lapbook (free)
- That's What Leprechauns Do and lapbook (free)
- The St. Patrick's Day Shillelagh and lapbook (free)