Tiny Steps Tuesday : Pay Attention to Your FoodHave you ever stopped to consider why you were eating? Are you eating for hunger? Because it is the socially-appropriate thing to do? Because you are bored? According to the author of Mindless Eating : Why We Eat More Than We Think, the mind makes food-related decisions, more than 200 a day, and many of them without pause for actual thought!
Most people do not consider food with attention and intention - that is, most people do not eat slowly, without distraction.
This week, your challenge is to be mindful of your patterns. I want you to answer each of these questions at least once each day...
- Why am I eating? (Emotions, or hunger?)
- When do I feel like eating? (Natural rhythms)
- What do I want to eat - given all possible options?
- Where do I eat? Also, where does the fuel go? (Exercise?)
- How do I eat? (Do you drink your calories?)
- How much do I eat?
Take it to the Next Level
Keep a food diary for a week, and notice the patterns that emerge. Jot down the following for each entry :
- What you ate
- How you were feeling just prior to eating
- What time you ate
- What else you did while eating
- How hungry were you just prior to eating
You just might be surprised at what you discover!!