Chocolate Peppermint Krispies
Winter came much too early this year! The kids and I were digging through the house, trying to find a baking project to pass the time, when we created these treats. We pulled out various ingredients and decided to try our hand at a new dessert...and it turned out to be excellent!! We hope that you enjoy them as much as we do...
- 2 bars Ghiradelli 100% cacao baking chocolate
- Peppermint Oil (we used Young Living)
- 16 Rice Krispie Treats (you can make your own; we had two boxes of the pre-made ones on hand)
- double boiler
- We used a double boiler to melt down two bars of chocolate....it works better if you break the chocolate into smaller bits before putting it into the boiler.
- Once it was good and melted, we added ten to fifteen drops of peppermint oil. This made a pretty strong, but delicious, coating. Vary the number of drops based on preference.
- After laying out each of the pre-packaged treats on wax paper, we dipped each one into the melted chocolate. We kept stirring the chocolate occasionally to keep it flowing.
- After getting a first dip, covering one entire end of each treat, we went back and spooned chocolate all over the top of each of the treats. Then we left them on the wax paper to cool.
- We still had chocolate left, though, and it'd be a shame to waste perfectly good chocolate!!! We scrambled through the house and found a bag of pretzels, and made up some chocolate covered pretzels right there.
I will say...with the peppermint, the pretzels weren't so good. Maybe it was the combination of salt with the other flavors. The krispies were delicious, though! My youngest took some to his speech teacher, and she was inclined to agree...