Did you know that eating any kind of sugar has the potential to reduce your body's defenses by 75% or more for up to six hours??? Our children are about to go out scavenging for candy, and all of that sugar is going into their little bodies....just in time for the kick-off of cold and flu season! Is it any coincidence that the holidays correlate with so much illness? From Halloween to Valentine's Day, we eat our way through a sugary winter feast!
There are different options for the fate of this week's catch. I'm not going to take all of my children's candy from them, but I'm also not going to let them eat it all. We usually do some math, by sorting the candy and grouping candies with similar properties, then we let them eat whatever they want that night. Sometimes this pays off big, if they get a stomachache and decide they don't want any more candy for weeks! Terrible, isn't it? But they've learned to regulate themselves this way. I also let them save their favorite candies...whatever will fit into a sandwich bag.
After that, they get to help decide where the rest of the candy will end up. Here are some of our favorite options :
- Take it to a dentist who buys it and ships it to troops overseas.
- Save it for making a gingerbread house in December.
- Create sculptures with candy and toothpicks. (soft candies)
- Use as part of Operation Christmas Child shoeboxes. (hard candies)
- Perform scientific experiments on the candy. (our personal favorite)