This Month's Featured Resources...

Ten Days of RoadschoolingWWII Activity PackLego Easter Mardi Gras

Tuesday, October 28

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun (Cyndi Lauper)



Sometimes, I wonder how the girl with mischief in her eyes turn into this wild-eyed half-crazed lady I see in the mirror....
I think about all the years I spent in school, going to a prestigious honors boarding school, graduating early with multiple degrees, getting that graduate degree...and then making the decision to stay home with my children.  Some days, it's a decision I struggle with...having been raised to work outside the home, and occasionally still being berated by unnamed family members for the decision.  On those days, I find myself like in this state...
THEN - I remember what it's all about.  We're raising future husbands!!!  (Well, you might be raising future wives...I got husbands.)  Not only is it my job to teach them manners and discipline, and meet their educational needs, but they need to learn how to have some fun along the way.  Who wants to marry a fuddy-duddy?  Hard worker - yes!  Fuddy-duddy - no.  And this was something that I had been neglecting, too...
I've always sought refuge in crafts, particularly with cloth.  My grandmother was an amazing seamstress in the 1940s and 50s, who had the ability to design and make anything you could dream up.  Unfortunately, that ability wasn't inherited, but I do have her sense of 'peace' when working on projects.  It made sense to begin sewing again.  Now, remember...I'm looking for fun here!  On a whim, I decided to make a few Miss Frizzle dresses.  Oh - you know what I'm talking about!  Miss Frizzle , from the Magic School Bus...she's making learning more fun than any other teacher I know!
Some of my patterns were missing or destroyed beyond use, so I had to create some new ones.  I designed a World War II airplanes sundress & a pirates & treasure dress.  Currently, I am working on a skeleton dress (anatomy & physiology) and one with autumn leaves (botany / seasons).  Finally, the boys picked out this insanely huge patriotic print that I can only imagine in maxi-skirt form...it will be last! 
Sure, they're sometimes embarrassed at how I'm dressed, but you know what?  My kids think it's pretty cool that mom is willing to dress up and have a little fun!  When we went to the USS Intrepid in NYC, we even got some behind-the-scenes action from a docent who loved how the dress fit with the museum theme!  There's only so much call for a Miss Frizzle dress, but it's a chance to keep those sewing skills sharp, teach the boys some basic sewing skills (thus getting them to fully create their own costumes in the future), and throw a little bit of fun into our days.   
Old Bertie was right....imagination IS more important that knowledge.  But when you combine the two, and get knowledge with enthusiasm, it's a whole 'nother animal!  Spice up your learning today....throw on a Miss Frizzle dress and take a field trip.  Get your kids excited - just be DIFFERENT.  God knows, if we all thought the same way, the world would be a boring place. 

Somewhere, I can tell you exactly which of my friends is shaking her head....and saying, "there goes my weird friend.  I just love her."  Trust me, y'all.  She says it all the time.  Especially when I show up for our field trips in one of these dresses......

Just for you:  here is a free unit on Elias Howe (inventor of the sewing machine) unit study.
Post a Comment