The children would visit every zoo we passed, if we let them. In fact, for Awards Night, one of them received a Zoology Award! We are annual passholders to the Oklahoma City Zoo, and usually stop by to see the animals that relate whatever unit we happen to be studying. They have a fantastic exhibit on the animals & ecology of our area, called the Oklahoma Trail. Also, much to mom's chagrin, we always have to stop by the herpetarium...
Zoo & Snakes unit study :
- Magic Tree House #45: A Crazy Day with Cobras (A Stepping Stone Book(TM))
- Crazy Day for Cobras unit study
- See-Through Reptiles
- Explores the World of Animals (Magic School Bus)
- Zoo unit study (younger children) (free)
- All About Giraffes lapbook (free)
- Animal Classification unit (free)
Beside the zoo is the Science Museum Oklahoma, another one of those ASTC membership museums (see Grand Rapids post for more information) included with our annual pass. They have dinosaurs, natural science, futuristic technology, space & airplanes, a huge discovery center, Live Science shows, an IMAX theater, an indoor playground, and a plethora of rotating exhibits. Everything is hands-on for interactive learning.
As it is coming up on summertime, here is a little bit of snake information to keep handy...