Summer brain drain....we homeschool year-round, so my kids don't have as much opportunity to experience this phenomenon. (Yet, every time the math books come out, they experience temporary amnesia...) Regardless of our schooling status, they participate in multiple reading programs each summer. I like it because it gives them added incentive to read, but they'll take the penny-prizes over stronger reading skills any day.
Some of the reading programs that are local to our home area :
- Half-Price Books Feed Your Brain reading program
- They can earn $5 to spend on anything in the store once each during June and July.
- Barnes & Noble Imagination Destination reading program
- Completed reading logs may be exchanged for a free book.
- Pizza Hut Book-It summer reading program
- Complete the book form to win prizes.
- Chuck-E-Cheese Rewards program
- Completed reward charts may be exchanged for free tokens.
- Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge
- Log reading minutes to enter sweepstakes.
- your local library's summer program
- varies by library system
- online reading program with printable prizes
Mom's Summer Challenges :